Former West Indies Captain Kieron Pollard is surprised and disappointed with the team’s early exit from the T20 World Cup and said all the contributors must share the responsibility.
West Indies have lost six of the eight matches they have played in T20 World Cups since their 2016 final triumph in India.
“A bit surprised, to be honest that (West Indies) weren’t able to get over the line against the other teams,” Pollard told i95.5fm, a Trinidad-based radio station.
“But again, that speaks volumes of where our cricket as is at the moment. I feel it. I feel it for the guys because they are the ones that are going to get the bashing. And it’s not all their fault.” The elimination attracted reactions from across the cricketing world.
In their opening match of this edition, they were bowled out for just 118 chasing 161 against Scotland before managing to defend a modest 153 for 7 against Zimbabwe, thanks to Alzarri Joseph’s 4 for 16 and Jason Holder’s 3 for 12.
But Ireland easily overhauled their 146 for 5 on Friday to cruise into the next round.
West Indies noticeably struggled against spin through the middle overs in all three of their games.
Brandon King’s unbeaten 62 off 48 balls was the sole bright spot of West Indies’ innings against Ireland after they inched their way to 41 for 2 in the powerplay, scoring just five fours and one six in that time.
In contrast, Ireland struck six fours and four sixes in the first six overs of their chase.
Against Zimbabwe, Johnson Charles – King, who was ill at the time – was West Indies’ top-scorer with 45 off 36 balls, and only four West Indies batters reached double figures against Scotland
Pollard said, “We have a young captain, we have young players, guys who would have played only a handful of (matches in) T20 cricket and now they are in the World Cup.
“And when I look back at it, I sit back and I have a smile on my face. Because I remember some of the things that was said last year around this time, when some individuals weren’t selected.
“I just had to remind these people that there was a World Cup we were going to (in 2021) and another bilateral series (in New Zealand). And now some of the individuals get the opportunity to play in the World Cup. And, again, look what has happened. It’s no fault of theirs,” he said.
“But when we tried to sort of protect them and let people understand (in 2021), they were not ready for that, we were lambasted. There were a lot of things that were said that were very derogatory at times. It’s a sad day for West Indies cricket and all of us.”