New Zealand will not send a team to the U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup, held in the West Indies in 2022. 

For the first time in the competition’s history, New Zealand will not send a team to the U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup, held in the West Indies in 2022.

The tournament will be played in the Caribbean for the first time in its 14-edition history and will begin with a clash between the hosts and Australia on January 14. The final is scheduled for February 5, 2022. Defending champions Bangladesh headline Group A alongside England, Canada and UAE. Four-time champions India are grouped alongside South Africa, Ireland and Uganda. while Afghanistan, Pakistan, PNG and Zimbabwe compose Group C.

The tournament will be played across 10 venues in four countries – Antigua and Barbuda, Guyana, St Kitts and Nevis and Trinidad and Tobago.

Trinidad and Tobago will host the Plate competition between 25 and 31 January, with the Super League taking place in Antigua and Barbuda from 26 January. The semi-finals will be played on February 1 across two venues; the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground and Coolidge Cricket Ground on February 2. The Final on February 5 will also be held at the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground.

New Zealand will be a notable absentee at next year’s Under-19 World Cup in West Indies after the team had to withdraw from the 16-team event due to mandatory quarantine restrictions for minors they would have faced upon return from the tournament. They have been replaced by Scotland in a competitive Group D, also featuring the hosts West Indies, Australia and Sri Lanka.

NZ Cricket high performance general manager Bryan Stronach says lessons have been learned from senior international tours since the start of the pandemic, not wanting to impact such a young playing group with the impacts of such strict conditions.

“We have learned a lot through our Blackcaps and White Ferns travelling overseas, and I suppose the impact that travelling in this COVID world has had on them,” Stronach tells .

“Looking at the support we’ve put around them to make sure we feel it’s safe, and they can get through okay, and we’re looking at this U19 team and making sure we can justify it with them. One, due to their age, and what they’re doing, where they’re going in this environment, and what we can do to support them.”

In particular, NZ Cricket’s concern revolves around not wanting to ask returning players to have to quarantine for a week on their own. But Stronach insists MIQ alone was not the sole reason for NZ Cricket opting out of the World Cup.

MIQ is part of it. Putting U19 – and in some cases younger – players than that, MIQ is a risk. It’s hard on them, but it’s definitely not the only case. We’re sending them around the world. This was meant to be in the West Indies in a COVID world at the moment. The support that we would need to put around them for us to feel secure and safe that they were going to be fine, that’s a big part of it as well. It’s not just MIQ.” Stronach also said.

New Zealand had previously competed in all 13 previous iterations of the U19 World Cup, dating back to 1988, with their best finish being runners-up in 1998.

The U19 Cricket World Cup has been a breeding ground for Blackcaps stars, with the likes of Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Tim Southee, Trent Boult, Kyle Jamieson, Martin Guptill and countless others advancing to the senior side.

Leave a Comment